Those of you who have bought XRP coins and are now thinking of keeping them for the long term may opt for a cold storage solution.
A cheaper alternative to hardware wallets would be a paper wallet. Creating your own Ripple wallet isn’t as difficult as you might expect.
How does it work?
Both a public and a private key are printed on a crypto paper wallet. When the public wallet is generated, a random secret private key is selected on which the public key is created. To do this, you need an online key pair generator.
Note that all Ripple wallets require a base reserve. This is a minimum amount of XRP that will keep the wallet activated. The base reserve is currently set at 20 XRP. If you go under the reserve, you won’t be able to send XRP to other wallets.
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to create a Ripple paper wallet:
Step 1: generate your wallet
· · Access a Ripple wallet generator’s site. A recommended site would be xrppaperwallet.com. Once you are on the website, click the blue “Generate Paper Wallet” button under “Cold Wallet”. Your newly created wallet will appear on the screen. The wallet generator provides you with your Ripple address, which is your public key, and a Ripple secret, which is your private key.
To ensure the integrity of your wallet during this process, you can save the website to your computer and run it later on the website when your computer is offline. This prevents data from being transmitted online where it can be found and used by bad actors.
· · Open a text file, copy and paste the ripple address (public key) and save the document. You will need this address later to check your balance or to move your XRP.
· · Print out your wallet. It is best to avoid sending the printout over an online connection or on a printer that does not belong to you or someone you do not trust.
The most optimal mode to print your wallet in is to save it to a USB drive and print directly from the device without the printer connected to the internet. You can also try connecting your PC directly to the printer with cables and printing while both devices are offline.
It is recommended that you print multiple copies in case you lose or damage your Ripple paper wallet.
If you followed these three simple steps, you should now have a piece of paper with a public / private key pair printed on it. Now that you have your Ripple paper wallet, we can move on to sending XRP.
Step 2: Sending XRP to Your Wallet
Whether you are withdrawing from an Exchange wallet or a web-based wallet, the process is similar for most types of XRP wallets.
· · Log into the exchange or wallet where you saved your Ripple. Find the Withdrawal Area and your Ripple Balance.
· · Now click on the withdrawal button. You should receive a pop-up message asking what amount you want to withdraw and the address of the recipient.
· · You should first do a test transaction with a small amount to see if the setup went properly. Since Ripple requires at least 20 XRPs to activate a wallet, you will need to send 20 coins first in addition to the transaction and withdrawal fees of your exchange.
· · Open the text file that saved your wallet’s public address and copy and paste it into the address you want to withdraw to. Check that the pasted address matches the printed one.
· · After verifying that the addresses are the same, click “Submit” and complete the transfer of your Ripple Coins. You will then have to be a little patient until your ripple is deposited in the wallet. This process should not take longer than a minute. You can use an account viewer to check if the money was showing in your wallet by pasting your public key in the search bar. If you can’t find the account or the balance shows 0 coins, don’t panic. This means the transaction is not yet complete and you will have to wait and check it again later.
· · After your account has received the test amount, you can proceed to sending all the funds by following the above steps again and changing the withdrawal amount.
· · Someone could physically force you to give them your wallet. This is why you should never brag about having a paper wallet as it can instantly target you.
· · Paper is not a very durable material. It can be easily damaged by many environmental factors, and it can become brittle and can be torn without much effort.
· · You could forget the location of your paper wallet or accidentally damage it. To err is human, after all.
If you’ve followed the steps above, then congratulations, you now have a Ripple Paper Wallet! Make sure you keep it in a safe place and follow the safety recommendations suggested in the article.
Note: The information in this article and the links provided are for general informational purposes only and should not constitute financial or investment advice. We encourage you to do your own research or consult a professional before making any financial decisions. Please note that we are not responsible for any loss caused by information on this website.