Source: Adobe / dennizn
Get your daily bite-sized review of Cryptoasset and Blockchain-related news – investigate the stories flying under the radar of today’s crypto news.
- Money transfer company Western Union has teamed up with Google to provide US users with access to the Western Union “digital money movement experience” through the Google Pay app. Google Pay users in the US can now send cross-border payments using Western Union’s global financial network with bank accounts, wallets and retail locations across India and Singapore. Users can fund their transactions with a Google Pay bank account or a Google Pay card, they added.
- Palantir’s CFO and treasurer, David Glazer, said this American software company has not only considered adding Bitcoin (BTC) to its balance sheet, but is also accepting cryptocurrency as a payment method used by customers, according to Markets Insider. “We think about it [adding BTC to the balance sheet] and we’re actually discussing this early and looking at our cash balance sheet at the end of the quarter, including adjusted free cash flow of $ 151 million in the first quarter, “Glazer was quoted as saying.
- Fintech startup Revolut is partnering with blockchain analytics and risk management company Elliptic to expand its cryptocurrency offering. The latter was announced today. According to Revolut, customers have been able to hold crypto assets since 2018. Thanks to the new partnership, Revolut Metal customers from the UK can now spend their cryptoassets as well as send them to personal wallets and exchanges.
Legendary investor Stanley Printmiller claims that the Fed’s policies to keep markets and the economy alive during the pandemic could threaten the long-term health of the US dollar.
“The Fed is going to have to monetize it. I think it’s going to have a terrible impact on the dollar … it’s more likely … https://t.co/QOlD1km4ye
– Squawk Box (@SquawkCNBC)
- The e-commerce giant eBay allowed the sale of non-fungible tokens (NFTs) for digital collectibles such as trading cards, pictures or video clips on its platform on Tuesday, Reuters reported. In the short term, an NFT inventory will be made available to sellers who conform to eBay standards, the company told Reuters, adding that in the future, users can expect programs, guidelines and tools to help them purchase a wider range of NFTs and can sell categories.
- According to Bloomberg, Cboe Global Markets has applied for an exchange-traded Fidelity Bitcoin fund (ETF) in the United States. Cboe has already filed for approval of vehicles like a VanEck Bitcoin Fund, one of several Bitcoin ETFs that are looking to get the green light from officials. However, the US Securities and Exchange Commission has not yet approved any crypto-related ETFs.
- Decentralized artist DAO and liquid NFT marketplace Wilder World have raised $ 3M to be used to create an art NFT metaverse. The world is created with the Unreal Engine from Epic Games in order to build what the 3D artist Frank Wilder calls a “multi-faceted system” in an interview with VentureBeat.
- Digital asset investment products posted total inflows of $ 373 million last week, “indicating a recovery in demand,” CoinShares said, adding that some vendors are continuing to see outflows, “which we believe is continued profit-taking behavior.” . Bitcoin received inflows worth $ 290 million, Ethereum (ETH) – $ 60 million. However, ETH’s total assets under management hit a new record $ 16.5 billion, CoinShares said, adding that BTC only hit those assets under management in December 2020 and has now hit nearly $ 46 billion.
- A new crypto stealer named Panda Stealer searches phishing emails and Discord links, according to cybersecurity firm Trend Micro. Once downloaded, it looks for keys and addresses associated with crypto wallets, but also for login details for NordVPN, Telegram, Discord and Steam accounts.
- Gaming giant Ubisoft has added eleven new startups to its Entrepreneurs Lab Accelerator program, five of which are blockchain-based. The company announced this in a blog post. These include Aleph.im, Anybrain, Atlantide, BrainLeap, Crucible, Game Academy, Guild of Guardians, Horizon, Lexiko, NonFungible and Virtuleap. In this sixth season of the Entrepreneurs Lab, they split into two groups: blockchain and positive entertainment.
Regulatory and tax news
- Indonesia is currently examining ways to tax the crypto trade, Reuters reported, citing a spokesman for the country’s tax office. According to the report, the spokesman added, “It’s important to know […] If a profit or capital gain is generated from a transaction, the profit is subject to income tax. “
- Bosnia and Herzegovina is preparing a bill to try for the first time to regulate cryptoassets in this country in southeastern Europe. The Union for a Better Future party plans to form a sector for technological and economic advancement and market modernization that would also propose crypto-related laws, local media reported, noting a “large number” of citizens trading and mining crypto.
- DeFi liquidity provider Balancer Labs (BAL) has launched Balancer V2, a new generic protocol for automated market makers (AMMs) designed to improve the tool’s existing functionality. These include lower gas costs, a new user interface and an updated website, and other technical improvements, according to an announcement.
- According to Reuters, the Central Bank of Israel is considering issuing a central bank digital currency (CBDC). Although the idea itself isn’t new, as it was first proposed in 2017, the bank “is speeding up its research and preparation” thanks to the recent boom in the crypto market, she added.
(Updated at 17:09 UTC with the NFT news area.)